28 Jun Middle Road and Bayport’s Name
Posted at 15:08h in news
In 1834 a road was built through the middle of the farmlands from Sayville to Blue Point and the road was named Middle Road.
At first the Bayport community was called Middle Road Village, but then renamed Southport.
Since there was another village upstate called Southport, the name had to be changed again.
When the Post Office was set up in 1858, the name was changed to Bayport.