Annual Member $25
Senior Member $10
Corporate Member $100
Checks can be mailed to
Bayport Blue Point Heritage Association
PO Box 4, Bayport, NY 11705
Meadow Croft is rare example of South Shore summer house architecture prior to the turn of the 19th century. The summer estate of John Ellis Roosevelt and his family, Meadow Croft is comprised of a 19th century farmhouse and a magnificent 1891 addition designed by Isaac H. Green, Jr. of Sayville. Additional structures are a carriage house, an auto house, a caretaker's cottage, and a swimming pool.
Meadow Croft is owned by Suffolk County and is part of the Suffolk County Parks Department. The care and restoration is shared by the Bayport-Blue Point Heritage Association which first envisioned its potential as a museum in 1984. The organization literally saved Meadow Croft from the wrecker's ball. Many hours went into the painstaking restoration of the house and outbuildings you see today. In addition to the buildings, the colonial revival garden has been restored to its original beauty with heirloom plants.
Using John E. Roosevelt's ledgers, family photos, and evidence left in the house, Bayport-Blue Point Heritage Association was able to have a furnishing report prepared that became the guide to restoring the house. Reproduction wallpaper and carpets were purchased, as well as period antiques. The Roosevelt family generously donated original pieces, most notably the beautiful grand piano. The Loughlin family returned the original dining room table and chairs, at which President Theodore Roosevelt, John Roosevelt’s famous cousin, had lunch with the family in 1903.
Meadow Croft is open for tours Saturdays and Sundays from 2-4, June through October. Group and specialty tours can be arranged by calling 631-472-4625. As Meadow Croft is a Suffolk County Park, the grounds are open year-round.