14 Apr ASCHS Quarterly Meeting
All are welcome!
ITINERARY ASCHS QUARTERLY MEETING
Saturday, April 28, 2018
· RSVP by Wednesday, April 25 –
President Georgette Grier-Key email@example.com
· Bring a $45 check to registration, includes lunch
8:30 – 9:00 REGISTRATION Edwards Farm, Edwards Street, Sayville (Corner of Edwards St. & Collins Ave.)
· Light refreshments
· Welcome by Mary Bailey, President of Bayport- Blue Point Heritage Association
9:00 – 10:30 Edwards Farm, Edwards Street, Sayville (Corner of Collins Avenue)
· The first European-Americans to inhabit the area we call Sayville were John and Sarah Edwards who leased land around 1761. They built a home that later burned down at what is now the corner of Edwards Street and Collins Avenue. After the American Revolution, the family purchased about a thousand acres from the bay north to the Three Mile Line. Their son, Matthew, built the original portion of the Edwards Homestead about 1785. The house was expanded over the years.
· A second building, called the Annex, will also be open. It contains a collection of farming tools and images that provide a good sense of the skills the Edwards mastered and the effort that was needed to feed the family, as well as their livestock.
10:30 – 11:30 St. Ann’s Church, 257 Middle Road, Sayville
· St. Ann’s was designed by Isaac H. Green, Jr. and built in 1888. Constructed of granite in the Norman style, it has massive walls and a round arch over the recessed doors. The seven stained glass windows in the apse were designed by J.A. Holzer, chief designer for Tiffany. The five foot wide Rose window over the entrance is also by Tiffany. This handsome church, the first stone house of worship built in Suffolk County, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
11:30 – 1:00 Meadow Croft, 299 Middle Road, Sayville
· Meadow Croft is a rare example of South Shore summerhouse architecture prior to the turn of the 19th century. The summer estate of John Ellis Roosevelt and his family, Meadow Croft is comprised of a 19th century farmhouse and a magnificent 1891 addition designed by Isaac H. Green, Jr. of Sayville. Additional structures are a carriage house, an auto house, a caretaker’s cottage, and a swimming pool. John’s cousin, President Theodore Roosevelt, visited the home for lunch on July 23, 1903.
· The house is on the National Register of Historic Places.
1:00 – 4:00: LUNCH Grey Horse Tavern 291 Bayport Avenue, Bayport
· In May 2008, the Grey Horse Tavern opened its doors. Calling Bayport its home, GHT set up shop in a lovingly restored landmark building that has been a tavern ever since 1868. Owners Irene Dougal and Linda Ringhouse named their establishment after Hanko, a grey Palomino horse that previous owners Hans and Katy Rohde would lead from the barn right up to the bar!
Luncheon Buffet at Grey Horse Tavern (included in registration fee)
Salad: GHT Chefs Signature Salad
Platters: Marinated Breast of Chicken, Rosemary and Lemon Scented
Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin
Pasta: Rigatoni with Tomatoes, Prosciutto, Peas, Parmesan
Dessert: Cookie and Brownie Platter
Soda, coffee, tea & decaf included